26 February 2006

Grazie, Torino!

I love the Olympics. I followed this year's Winter Olympics in Turin quite avidly, studying in front of the broadcasts pretty much every night and even recording some of it. My favorite winter sport is figure skating, but I watch that even on non-Olympic years, so my favorite part about the Olympics is watching athletes I would never get to see otherwise. I always have a few favorites...and the results are in.

Favorite number one:




Chad Hedrick. His newcomer status, Texas accent, and charming demeanor...plus the gold, silver, and bronze he earned at the Games...make him irresistible. Not to mention those dazzlingly white teeth.

Favorite number two:


Root, root, root for the home team...Enrico Fabris became the first Italian speed skater to ever win an Olympic medal. My brother accused me of having shifted my loyalties when he found me dressed in my own Italia jacket yelling "Go Enrico! Avanti!" (No, really, I didn't actually say "Avanti." I should have though.) But what can I say? He's Italian, he was in his home country, and he made history. What's not to like?

And honorable mention goes to:


Apolo Anton Ohno. He won his gold medal on the next-to-last day of competition, and unlike last Olympics, this one was completely devoid of controversy. But still exciting. I mean, it's short track. Apolo is a favorite of mine because he is so fun to watch, he's got a great story, and unlike many athletes, he is very articulate. I am glad to see him successful.

So that pretty much sums it up. Kudos also go out to our silver medal figure skaters, Sasha Cohen and dance team Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto. Boo to Bode Miller, who, even if he had lived up to his hype, was pretty much just annoying. Yay for Bob Costas, 'cause he's just cool.

I'm out.

3 comments:

ThePizzaPizzaMan said...

Hmm, that Enrico guy looks like James (at least the hair)

You are right about Hedrick's teeth -- maybe I should buy me a set like his : )

Avanti!!? oh my...I'll never hear the end of this one.

Jennifer R. said...

Haha you know I stuck it in there just for you! It's the Italian word of the day...

Today I'm just counting. More boring.

Jennifer R. said...

Haha it made me laugh. That lady needs to seriously rethink her priorities. But whatev.

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...