04 August 2005

The 80's, then The 90's, then...um...

Here's a random thought that came to me the other day. What on earth are we calling this current decade? I started thinking about this when I was listening to "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls on the radio, and I realized that it is 10 years old. Makes me feel old just thinking about it, hehe. Anyway, I realized that most of the music I like is 90's music...like the Goo Goo Dolls, or Counting Crows, or Collective Soul...etc. etc. And I only like a few artists from...um...well what on earth is this decade?

One time in a sermon, my college minister, Dusty, called it the "zeroes." Despite the obvious context, it still took me a couple of minutes to figure out what on earth he was talking about. Then there have been people who called it the "two thousands," but that is silly to me because you could be referring to the whole stinkin' millenium. Mix 100, my favorite radio station, uses a cop-out. They say that they play music from "the 80's, 90's and today." Hmmph. Cheaters.

So I don't know what to call it. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda like not knowing... and then it'll be the teens, the twenties... etc. ah the joys.

ShapeNoteSinger said...

I believe, in the previous century, they called this decade the "aughts". I don't know this from experience, mind you, just from reading......

Given the state of our culture, though, perhaps we should call it the "oughts" !

xo

Jennifer R. said...

I was wondering how people had resolved the problem back in the day. The aughts, eh? I really like that. It has a nice ring to it. Unfortunately, if I went around using it in public, I'd probably be met with those blank stares I get so often anyway. Pity.

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...