14 August 2006

Heartless

Lately I've been non-busy enough to become rather introspective and do a little soul-searching. One never really likes what one finds as a result of that activity (generally speaking), but I am most appalled by a weakness I'd never really identified as such before.

I have so, so little compassion.

When I think of Jesus and the life He lived, and the way He died for the sins of humanity, one of the first words to jump to mind is "compassion." Compassion is one of the most important qualities for any Christian to aspire to. Compassion for the lost, compassion for the needy, compassion for the downhearted. But I have very little compassion for anybody. Why am I so heartless?

Take the last few days, for instance. This weekend one of my least favorite coworkers got fired, and my reaction was excitement, something along the lines of "Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead!" I felt slightly guilty about that, but only because I was well aware that people aren't supposed to enjoy it when other people lose their jobs, and that slight guilt really didn't change the fact that his termination made my week. Then today, when my boss told me that he had called crying (he really is in a bad situation now), I laughed. I wasn't laughing to keep from crying, I was laughing because I thought it was funny. "Ha ha, what a pansy. His girlfriend must've given him a black eye." How ugly is that reaction? Then when I got home, I read on my friend's blog that her car had gotten broken into and her credit card and ID got stolen. The first thought that ran through my mind, instead of concern, was "Why did she leave her credit card and ID in the car in the first place?" (I'm sorry Karen. I really am sorry you lost those things, and especially your Bible.)

So you see the pattern here? I'm absolutely heartless, there's no way around it. I rarely offer sympathy to anyone who comes complaining to me. While that's not always a bad thing (people who are really being ridiculous don't need to be coddled), I really don't like this pattern. I think Jesus needs to change me.

Just throwing that out there. I might find some other things that need to go while I'm at it.

6 comments:

The Adventurer said...

JD, don't worry about it. I've felt that way too, several times, like when Sam quit, etc. And I'm not really sure why they broke into my car. It was like the worst car to break into. The things in my car can be replaced, and the joke really is on Satan. I had packed another bible, so i'm not without a bible. I cried to Jesus, asking him to fill my needs, and the most valuable thing was my bible, which is referred to the "Sword of the Spirit" and "sharper than a double edged sword." And it "doesn't return to him void." God prepared me, and i'm doing well adjusting to not leaving my car in the street *but i absolutely hate our driveway!*

Ok, I'm gone

Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
free car removal brisbane
car removal ipswich

Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
car buyer Melbourne
cash for car brisbane

Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
cash for cars caboolture
cash for cars ipswich

Metalbiz said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars
scrap metal gold coast

Hobart Auto Removal said...

I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you.
old car removal
cash for cars hobart

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...