15 August 2006

My Brains are Scrambled

For some reason I couldn't sleep well last night. My sleep came in fits and starts, so now my thoughts are all disjointed.

I had a disturbing dream right before I woke up. My friend Lauren, one of my better friends from high school, died suddenly earlier this summer. This morning I dreamed about her, and even though I had not forgotten in the dream that she had died, she was out walking around anyway. The explanation was that she had been in a coma where everyone thought she was dead, but now she was okay. (I read too many fantasy books, I swear.) In this dream she was taking great delight in scaring a bunch of people, and then she and this friend of hers started chasing me. They eventually ambushed me on this narrow staircase, one in front and one behind, and they were trying to kill me. Somehow the attack ended but it was never resolved. It was a very disturbing, Donnie Darko-esque dream. I woke up thinking, "Lauren was so much nicer before she died...wait..." and had to figure out all over again what had happened in real life. It was too weird.

Then, on top of that, I woke up with a Backstreet Boys song stuck in my head. I know, talk about a rough night! I haven't even heard it in years. It's the one that goes,
"I don't care who you are
Where you're from
What you did
As long as you love me..."

I am angry about having this song in my head. Not only is it offensive in its lack of musical merit, it's just dumb. I think it may be one of the absolute dumbest relationship songs ever, one that should sit next to the Beatles' "All You Need is Love." Please. Too many people listen to songs like that and really take to heart this naive idea that love is all you need to make it. Nope, sorry. Eventually they get knocked down by life and learn it the hard way; or they never learn it at all and wonder why their relationships never last and their lives are in shambles. I care a whole lot about who my boyfriend is, where he's from, and what he's done in the past, along with other criteria like what his faith is like, how he treats his family, etc. The fact that he loves me is just one of many criteria speaking in his favor. I have to look at it that way because marriages are built on more than love. Songs like this one ought to be rated SC-10 for "Stupid Content" and burned. That probably wouldn't prevent people from being dumb, but hey, there's no need to celebrate stupidity in music!

Alright, I'm getting ready for work now. Just needed to vent.

No comments:

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...