09 August 2005

Good Advice

I have received lots of good advice today. Most of it has come from a new little book I got tonight called The Little Book of Etiquette. I have learned a lot about how boorish I really am. I make all kinds of mistakes at dinner. For instance, here are some things you should NEVER do:
  • Push food onto your fork with your bread
  • Yell out if you find a piece of foreign matter in the food
  • Leave your spoon in your iced tea

And here's another good one: "Do not soak up gravy or sauce with bread and try to get every last morsel off your plate and into your mouth. Your plate should not appear as though it has been washed. It is always proper to leave a bite or two on your plate."

Now see, that is something I would never have known if this little book had not enlightened me. I always figured that eating everything was a compliment to the chef. I wonder how many people I've offended over the years...

Oh, and I have also received some Profound Relationship Advice from a good friend of mine who is married.

"Girl, don't marry a guy who likes skim milk."

Amen to that!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, in middle eastern countries, it is rude NOT to leave food on the plate, because your host(s) will take it that you've not had enough to eat. So, that part doesn't surprise me.

and AMEN to the skim milk!! it's an abomination to the goodness that is called milk.

aikou Iesu said...

Hey mulltrain! I am on the net with the help of the university! That is some good advice about the milk! Take it to heart! ;p That book sounds sweet! I gots to go gets me one of them there books! Like your page! Have a great day!

Jennifer R. said...

Haha Alisha, I knew you would roll your eyes at the skim milk part. But hey, I say that as long as you love that blue milk, more power to you...just don't marry a guy that likes REAL milk!

Jill said...

skim milk is the only acceptable kind. why drink fat?

it always grosses me out when people use bread as an extra utensil. and don't get me started on the word "sop"!!! ewwwwwwww!!! i totally love manners.

Rambling Rose Cottage said...

It's amazing how much there is to learn! I just saw a book at the library by Emily Post (I don't remember the title and I'm wondering if it is possibly the book you mention???) and I considered checking it out. It was a rather thick book and I feared that perhaps I've been doing too many things completely wrong all these years and I decided better to remain ignorant. The library book, as far as I know, remains on the shelf. Ignorance is bliss. :-)

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...