19 August 2005

Swimming and Sunlight

Today was my day off. It has been a very pleasant day...

Have I ever mentioned how much I love to swim? I do love it...I'm not very good at it, mind you (don't get the wrong idea), but I love it just the same. If you're looking for a way to get exercise, swimming is by far the best option (in my opinion) because it's easy on your joints, it's great cardio (if you even care about that kind of thing...I don't really...), and best of all, you can't even tell that you've worked up a sweat. You just stay cool and comfortable. That's what I love the best about being in the pool. I am never more comfortable than when I'm sliding through the water, imagining I'm a fish (yes, I admit it, I pretend to be Nemo) and feeling the water swoosh by like a nice massage. After a stressful day at work, it's so nice to just hop in the pool, turn off my brain, and let the cares of the day wash away in a nice swim. During the summer it's especially nice because the rec center takes the roof off, so you can enjoy the sun too. Despite the fact that I have the fairest and most sensitive skin in the world, I really like being in the sun. Feeling the warmth of its rays beaming down on my skin is part of the joy of a good swim. There's a song I know that sums up the feeling perfectly:

Good day, sunlight
I'd like to say how truly bright
You are
You don't know me,
But I know you, see,
You're my favorite star...

It's a silly song, but a pleasant one. So anyway, I've been enjoying the pool all summer, but today I enjoyed it even more because two of my good friends came with me. As much fun as it is escaping into my own world, it's even better to go swimming with someone to talk to at the end of the lane. We even had the lifeguard joining into the conversation, a little bit. We were there for about two hours, just hanging out and swimming and having a good time.

Then I went home and narped. (No, that's not a misspelling. It's just a made-up word. Saxy and I discovered one day that the word "nap" means entirely different things to each of us. She goes for the 15-20 minute kind, whereas when I go down, I'm out for at least a couple of hours. So we decided to come up with some new terms. A "nip" is 45 minutes or less, a "nap" is 45 minutes to, say, an hour and a half, and a "narp" is anything longer than that. It's a very useful distinction. She nips, I narp. Webster ought to take our lead.) That, of course, was very nice.

Then I met Saxy and some of her friends at this great house. Saxy is house-sitting for some really rich lady, and the lady said she could have friends over to swim in the pool and watch movies and stuff. So we went over there and cooked fajitas and played in the backyard pool for a while. It was great fun. This house, seriously, is the nicest residence I have ever seen, with my own eyes. It was big, and everything was soooo nice. They even have surround sound by the pool. And all of us girls went crazy over the waterfall faucet in the guest bathroom. I don't know how to describe it to you if you've never seen one, but it is the coolest thing ever, trust me. I will probably never have a house that nice, and that's okay, but it was sure fun to imagine oneself living in a mansion like that. Wow.

After the pool party, I came home and cleaned my entire apartment. I guess I was inspired or something. I always try to take advantage of those housework inspirations, because goodness knows they don't come often enough!

And now, it's time to read a bit, and then to bed. Have a good night, everyone...

1 comment:

aikou Iesu said...

Ha ha! You pretend to be Nemo! I would never do that! Just picking on you. The only reason I cannot say that is because I hold my nose. Ha, I am a nose holder! Water is so fun! Did you guys get pruney?!? I nap, but enjoy the new words. I am glad that you were not lonely. Hope you have a fun day with the Fam. Give me a call whenever you can. My Fam is gone. :( Bu bye!

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...