04 February 2006

Roman Holiday...or maybe Florentine???

So here are some of those details I promised about my trip this summer. I am definitely going to Italy (and so excited, I might add), but I still haven't decided for sure whether I am going to Rome or to Florence. I have to decide in the next few days, really. I am leaning toward Florence:

Florence is prettier, cleaner, and smaller than Rome, so I think I would enjoy staying there for a month better than being in the heart of Rome the whole time. I am definitely taking a trip to Rome, though, sometime during the program. How could I come so close to the seat of Western civilization's greatest empire without going to see the Roman Forum? Just the thought makes my heart beat faster. Here in the States, we don't really have the opportunity to see the buildings and remains of an advanced culture that thrived over two thousand years ago. I mean, South America has the remains of the Incas and Maya and such, but heck, the oldest buildings on our continent were probably built by the Puritans or something. The Roman Republic was a Mediterranean powerhouse by about 509 BC. That's a stinkin' long time ago. To be able to go and see the Forum, and see the Coliseum, see the places where these people actually lived...wow, I am so pumped.

Ahem, yes, but anyway, Florence is probably where I'll be for the majority of the time. It is a very exciting historical city as well, since it was the seat of the Italian Renaissance. The Renaissance is way too modern to be in my area of expertise, but I'm still interested in it. (If you want to talk to an expert, Ellen's your girl.) Florence is full of really cool buildings and cathedrals and such, with all kinds of great Renaissance art. I am excited about it. Also, if I go to Florence I will be taking a class on Pompeii. That makes me excited, too. :)

So anyway, that's the story. I'm sure I'll be posting more about it as the time draws nearer, and of course while I'm there this will be the place to hear all about my adventures. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Jennifer R. said...

Haha I make no guarantees, since I have a tendency to flake out at least once or twice in a situation like that. But I'm sure I'll have lots to tell the folks back home. :) I can't wait!

LN said...

Be sure to take lots of money-- internet is expensive.

Florence sounds like a great idea. The Renaissance, a trip to Rome, and Pompeii-- how could life get any better?! I wish I could go with you. just watch me turning green . . .

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...