08 March 2006

No more papers, no more books...oh wait...

Well, I can't say no more books yet, but I can definitely say no more study abroad papers! I turned in a deluge of paperwork in the Study Abroad office today...and when my advisor told me, "That's it!" I sat there in utter disbelief. Haha she says she always gets that reaction at the end of the looooong process. Anywho, after much running around and doing random things like convincing professors to write recommendations, getting a physical, etc., I'm finally through with the whole process. All that's left is to pay the rest of the cost and get some plane tickets. Sweet.

In other news, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire came out on DVD yesterday. I'm belatedly celebrating by wearing my lovely Gryffindor shirt today, which started a long conversation with my study abroad advisor, who has copies of Harry Potter in German on her desk. Potterheads of the world unite...

Well that's it for the moment, and if I don't update before Saturday...congratulations to Ems on her wedding!

I'm out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Gryffindor shirt, eh?

I was wondering, being a very devout and devoted evangelical conservative Christian, how you reconcile Harry Potter with the Bible?

Surely you know by now that I am never sarcastic nor do I ever tolerate tolerance of other beliefs, fantasy novels, or "floats" with anything other than root beer or Coke. Nor do I ever mock fringe beliefs that make the entire sect look *makes crazy sign* cuckoo. This is also not founded on my childhood, where my mother refused to let me watch Beetlejuice, The Simpsons, or any other cartoon wherein fantasy or any trace of vulgarity or political satire might show through. As you can see, her diligent efforts to raise me as a fundamentalist Christian worked terribly well.

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

Jennifer R. said...

Hi Megan! The answer is pretty simple, in my mind. Harry Potter is fantasy, and fantasy has no bearing on real life. I've read, and loved, fantasy my entire life--Tolkien and Lewis, yes, but also David Eddings, Terry Goodkind, Piers Anthony, etc. (Not sure if those names mean anything at all to you or anyone else, but if you're into the genre...) Anyway, I will definitely state that I think witchcraft and sorcery are condemned in the Bible and therefore not to be practiced, but I don't think that using magic as an element of a fantasy story is sinful or wrong. It's just a way to be imaginative. Plenty of people disagree with me, of course. They talk about how Harry Potter has "real spells" (which just look like garbled Latin to me), and how it will draw children into the practice of witchcraft. I can kind of see where they're coming from, but I say most people are capable of drawing the line between fantasy and reality, and those who aren't capable are mentally ill.

So, yeah. Harry Potter isn't something to live by, just something to have fun with. And it's so much fun... :)

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...