16 August 2005

Shall We Dance?

Did you know that Fred Astaire is the coolest guy ever? I didn't know either, until last night. Turner Classic Movies is my friend this week, since my brother and most of my friends are gone...Saxy has to work most nights...so I'm just pretty much alone all the time. I won't deny it's a bit depressing (I could never live alone for any extended length of time), but hey, it gives me a chance to explore things I would never even think of if I had anyone to talk to.

Turner Classic Movies is one of those things. I like old movies, somewhat, but I usually don't seek them out. I watch them with my parents or my boyfriend, and I always enjoy them, but when I go to Blockbuster I'm usually there for something a bit more up-to-date. Something with cool effects, or a mind-bending plot, or nice big explosions, or Christian Bale... Well anyway, old movies are usually not the first thing to come to mind. Lately, though, I've been really in the mood for musicals, and most good musicals were made a long time ago. (True, there is a modern version of Chicago, but...hmm...it doesn't look like what I had in mind.) For instance, I love Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly. (I'm still trying to figure out a way to see it again, but Blockbuster only has it on VHS. Silly old outdated technology.) On Sunday when I was visiting my parents, we watched Mary Poppins...another good one. (I love the chimney sweeps, they're so cool.) It was a compromise, though, because Mom and I really wanted to see a Fred Astaire movie. I'd never seen one, but as much as I like musicals, I love musicals with dancing...so it sounded just right. So anyway, we didn't get to see one, but yesterday as I was driving home from the pool (nursing a badly cramped right leg, I might add), I was thinking about it again, but I didn't know any titles of Fred Astaire movies, so I had no idea what to look for at the video store. So I just went home, turned on TCM to see what was on....and lo and behold, it was Fred Astaire Marathon night. Am I lucky or what?


I saw Top Hat, Swing Time, and Shall We Dance?. Great stuff. I like Shall We Dance? the best, I think because of the Gershwin music. So it was a fun night! I even broke out my blender and made strawberry smoothies for myself while I watched Fred and Ginger hoofin' it. I have a soft spot for dancing like that. I don't know how to dance at all, but I've always wished I could. It just looks like so much fun...they meet, they dance, they fall in love...call me sappy but I think it's great. Wouldn't it be awesome if normal people could just bust out with something like that at those Christmas parties or weddings or...walks in the park? Yeah, it'd be great. My proms didn't hold a candle to that.

So I guess the moral of the story is...when lonely, turn on TCM! At least on Fred Astaire night. Or, this Saturday, it's Jimmy Stewart all day! (I'm already planning on it...)

5 comments:

GravyGal said...

Being alone can sure be trying at times. I stayed alone at the house one weekend, and man, the place was quiet! I ended up watching a movie at least one of those nights. I was probably thinking beforehand about all that time I would have alone for reading or thinking--but then when it came right down to it, I found that a silent house was more distracting than kids running around yelling. I guess I'm just used to one thing, then when something else is thrown at me, I don't know how to take it. :)

Yesterday I was at Starbucks and I got a mint mocha chip frappuccino - thought of you. ;) It was good.

E

Anonymous said...

4am= welcome week activities... I won't get to bed until 1 am. talk about a pain in the butt! anyways, call me sometime, ok?

<>< K

aikou Iesu said...

Mary Poppins stepping time! Over the roof top stepping time! I like Mary Poppins very much. Hey, when lonly, take stupid quizzes! Gravygal, I feel the same way about an empty house, but with you I am sure it is a much bigger difference. Love you guys!

Jill said...

i almost never get tired of being alone, although when i do get back around people sometimes i'm a spaz.

there was a time when i tried to watch TCM instead of modern movies but i'm a sucker for color! definitely need to see Breakfast at Tiffany's, though, because it had such an impact on style!

Rambling Rose Cottage said...

My third daughter and I love old movies. Singing in the Rain is one of our favorites. Love Gene Kelly! I'll have to check into TCM for Saturday. I love Jimmy Stewart in Harvey! Take care!

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...