21 April 2006

Happy Birthday, Rome

According to tradition, this day, April 21st, is the day on which Romulus and Remus founded the city of Rome in 753 BC. Felix dies natalis, Roma!


And, just for the occasion, I'll throw in some Roman poetry (by Ovid) translated into charming Elizabethan English (by Christopher Marlowe):

Were Love the cause, it's like I shoulde descry him,
Or lies he close, and shoots where none can spie him?
T'was so, he stroke me with a slender dart,
Tis cruell love turmoyles my captive hart.
Yeelding or striving doe we give him might,
Lets yeeld, a burden easly borne is light.

-Amores 1.2.5-11

1 comment:

Jennifer R. said...

You know, it's right up there with Rome...but my Texas history prof failed to mention it! My apologies. Next year I'll celebrate them both!

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...