15 June 2006

Get Your Hands Off!!

Tonight I went to a boring little dinner/presentation thing with some of my co-workers from the pharmacy. We like to go for the free food (it was 50 Yard Line, y'all) and the CE credits (continuing education) we earn that help us renew our certifications. It was fine...mostly boring, but the food was okay. The only part I didn't like was our waiter. He was one of those guys who kneels down and gets right in your face when he takes your order, which kind of annoys me, but isn't too big of a deal. The thing that really got me was the way he kept touching me every time he came by our table. He would tap my arm or shoulder every single time. The last time he really made me angry, because he put both his hands on my shoulders for a pretty long time while he asked me condescendingly, could he get this sweet little girl a coke or something, since all her friends had wine? Aarrgghh. The condescending question I can deal with, but the hands on the shoulders just made me want to slap him. I actually didn't do anything except grit my teeth and say, "Really, I'm fine." But what is a girl supposed to do in a situation like that? At the time, I couldn't really think of a way to handle the situation except to either ignore it or snap something like "Get your hands off me!!!" Allowing a guy to be schmucky never seems like a good idea to me, but I certainly don't want to be a jerk, since one of my greatest responsibilities is to love the people around me! I suppose I need to come up with a carefully tactful way to request a no-touch zone, and have it prepared for the next time the situation arises. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, that sound like something that happened today... this middle aged guy comes in and was like "how much for a swig of coke?" and I'm like "um... I'm not sure..." He's like "How about 20 cents..." so i'm scanning the PLU chart blushing really bad (seriously!) and my coworker was like "that guy was hitting on you" and it was SOOOOO embarrassing.... the end

Jennifer R. said...

Lol at least he wasn't touching you!

I forgot to mention, this waiter actually managed to slip Melanie his phone number on her napkin with her wine glass...lol...so we just thought he was a schmuck all the way around. It was highly amusing, however...

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...