24 June 2006

Packing, Etc.

Well, now that I've got my blog all rearranged to my liking (for the moment), I can actually update.

Today is the day I'm supposed to be packing for this trip. I actually haven't packed a lick, yet, (haha my roommate is starting to freak out a little on my behalf...) but that's because I am currently working on cleaning my clothes (it's hard to pack if they're all dirty, which they were). So first I'll just throw out some pics from last night's "Totally Happening Friday" Greek Food Extravaganza (there were about 20 of us there, but I only got a few pics):


J.P. and Evan

Bethany and Michael

Cassie and me

Do you see the "Bellydancing with Cheryl" sign behind my head in the last pic? Well, Cheryl was totally there...I suppose I should have taken a picture of her shakin' it, but I was too busy enjoying everyone else's awkwardness. Haha it was amazing! A "bonding experience," as Joe said. :) Great fun.

So anyway...packing...I have accomplished one bit of packing, the part which is, in my opinion, the hardest part. If you were going to a foreign country for 6 weeks and only had room for 24 CD's, which ones would you take? It's been agony deciding, but here's my list:

1.) Aqualung: Strange and Beautiful
2.) Bic Runga: Drive
3.) Counting Crows: Films About Ghosts (The Best Of...)
4.) Steven Delopoulos: Me Died Blue
5.) Lord of the Dance: The Soundtrack
6.) Collective Soul: Collective Soul
7.) Collective Soul: Disciplined Breakdown
8.) Collective Soul: Dosage
9.) Collective Soul: Youth
10.) The World's Most Relaxing Piano Album...Ever! Disc Two
11.) Maroon 5: Songs About Jane
12.) Josh Groban: Closer
13.) Boston: Greatest Hits
14.) Burlap to Cashmere: Anybody Out There?
15.) Frou Frou: Details
16.) King's X: Ear Candy
17.) Jewel: This Way
18.) Michael Buble: Michael Buble
19.) Paul Simon: The Collection
20.) Soundgarden: Superunknown
21.) Simon & Garfunkel: The Essential Simon & Garfunkel, Disc One
22.) Pearl Jam: vs
23.) Jason Mraz: Mr. A-Z
24.) Sister Hazel: Chasing Daylight

Yeah, that's a pretty good collection to get me through. There are a couple of albums I would take, such as Eisley: Room Noises, or Michael Buble: It's Time, except that I just downloaded those, and therefore have no CD of them (and I don't have a CD burner). But anyways, now you can all see my "excellent taste" in music. Whatever that means...I was just thinking lately about people's ideas of "good taste" associated with music, art etc., and they just don't make sense to me. People will say that someone has "good taste," implying that there is some kind of objectively "good" thing that this tasteful person has the intellectual and artistic acumen to recognize and appreciate. On the other hand, the girl who jams out to, say, Britney Spears has "bad taste" because she's just not cultured enough to recognize crap when she hears it. I object to that sort of viewpoint...since there's nothing objective at all in music and art, who's to say what's "good" and what's "bad"? I say things are a lot simpler: either you like stuff or you don't. There's nothing wrong with shakin' it to Britney Spears every once in a while, if you like it. My roommate and I find ourselves doing just that on occasion...and then on other occasions we study to Rachmaninoff pieces. Whatever. We just like all kinds of stuff. We don't feel like we need to like a bunch of obscure artists to have "taste." And that makes our musical lives much happier.

Okay, time to go get the laundry, eat lunch, and maybe pack eventually? Enh.

Currently Listening: "Breathe In" by Frou Frou from Details

3 comments:

Jill said...

awww i miss Lubbock! also if i were you i would totally get an mp3 player - mine saved my life in Russia. to this day i associate Counting Crows' "If I Could Give All My Love -or- Richard Manuel is Dead" and J-Kwon's "Tipsy" with Moscow. good times. enjoy your trip, be safe, tell Rom & Rem hi if you see them.

Jennifer R. said...

Actually I do have an mp3 player...but I have several long, complicated, and boring reasons to leave it behind, mostly having to do with Italy's electricity--they apparently have issues. I've been told in no uncertain terms to bring nothing that plugs in...and the mp3 player has to plug in to charge. Anyways. I'll survive without it, since I'm planning on spending most of my time out on the town and not behind my headphones!

Jennifer R. said...

I am sad too, in a way...I'll miss my family, my roommate, and my SCUM'ers in particular!

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...