18 July 2006

No More Strikes, Please

So here's a funny and pathetic little story. Last night was not a good night for me. There are several reasons why I was stressed out mentally (not being able to get one of my credit cards to work was one of the major ones), but by the end of the day, my physical exhaustion had caught up to me as well. For brevity's sake, I didn't in my last post explain all the walking I had done that day, and I won't do so here, but trust me, it was a ridiculous amount. I was insane, really. So I decided to ride the bus home, and even though I waited at the bus stop for a long time, and it was getting dark, I stayed there because my legs felt like stones and I just knew I couldn't make it home if I tried to walk. So I waited...and waited...and waited...for probably over an hour, and my bus never came. I'm not sure exactly what happened, although I found out today that the taxi drivers were striking yesterday (again), and that usually messes up the buses because the crowds block off some of the major stops, the buses get packed because no one can take a cab, etc. Anyway, not knowing why my bus hadn't come, I was still there, stranded on the curb, by myself, in the dark. Great, I thought, this is where I get mugged and die. Rome is actually a pretty safe city by American standards, and most muggings are carried out by pickpockets (no violence), but it's still never a good idea to be out after dark if you're female and alone.

But there I was. I realized I needed to get home ASAP, so I decided to walk. I suppose this post would get really tedious if I actually tried to fully describe my exhaustion to you in words, so I won't try. Suffice it to say that I was so tired I could hardly see straight, and I kept thinking that I absolutely could not make it all the way home. When I got to St. Peter's, I sat on the steps of the square for a while, and when I say "sat" I mean "sprawled." Lol I'm sure I was a sight: the weight of my backpack had pulled me backward, and I couldn't summon the energy to sit up straight, so I was just lying there with all my limbs flopped all over the place. Eventually I saw a nice old Italian couple walking by and looking at me with concerned faces, and I realized that if I didn't start looking alive, they'd probably call an ambulance. Lol. I wish I could have a picture of that moment, I really do.

Anyway, after a long and miserable climb up the hill and then down the Mordor steps, I finally made it home, and here I am still safe and sound. I even got my credit card woes fixed, so I'm doing great today. :) I had the most awesome class this morning, as we explored the ruins of Domitian's palace on the Palatine Hill and went into the Colosseum. It was amazing, all of it. I have been in Rome for almost 3 weeks and still hadn't seen the inside of the Colosseum, because I knew we'd get there in class eventually; but I was starting to get impatient. Rachel was excited too: she declared that the Colosseum is "the monument of my happiness!" Lol. Unfortunately, I still haven't replaced my USB cable (it was the least of my worries yesterday), so I can't show you my pictures yet. They're coming, though, I promise! My teacher led us up the stairs to the upper level, saying "Pull up your togas! We are plebeians today!" She's so cute. Try to imagine a little Austrian lady saying that in a heavy accent, and you might get the idea. :)

So anyway, life is better for me today. :) Now I'm going to keep working on that project, since I don't feel like any more rambling would be productive without pictures. Stay tuned, though!

No comments:

It's 2007. So What's the Big Deal?

Happy New Year! You know, this is the first year in a long time that I've actually made a New Year's Resolution. Here it is: GET MAR...